Thursday, April 12, 2012

Avon - the good and the BAD

I was hoping I would never have to do a post like this... but I would be crazy to think that every product I try is truly amazing.  I guess that is the price I have to pay for loving makeup - if everything was great - I wouldn't have room in my powder room or money in my bank account right? 

Yesterday I received my recent order from Avon.  I have a thing with Avon.... I can remember my mother having this lady at our house one evening with her pink suitcase and bad polyester suit.  My mother brought out a TV tray and this woman proceeded to layout everything that was in her bag on the tray and then asked my mom for a little bowl of water.  There were about 10 little round pink compacts with various colors of cream products in them... green for red, yellow for pink, etc.  My mom sat beside the tray and this woman applied the products with a little pink spatula - but everything had to be mixed with water otherwise it wouldn't even spread onto her skin.  So that is my memory of Avon along with add slogan, "Avon calling" - you can imagine why I've stayed away all these years.

I am a dedicated follower of the fabulous Pixiwoo sisters and they use lots of Avon products in their Tutorials so it seemed that it was time for me to set aside my outdated image of the company and give it another go.  Out of the three products I ordered, there were two hits and one HUGE miss.  I've always said if you're going to give both negative and positive feedback - end with the positive - so I'll start with the big miss....

Ideal Flawless Invisible Coverage Liquid Foundation

The Ideal Flawless Invisible Coverage Liquid Foundation did not work for me - AT ALL.  Now, I have normal to oily skin, classic T-zone, so I gravitate toward foundations for all skin types, but oil-free.  This one claimed to be just that.  Application was easy and nice and actually felt lightweight in the beginning.  About two hours later that all changed.  It is now sitting on the surface of my skin and is sliding off of my T-Zone.  Horrible.  It is cakey around my nose and rough on my cheeks.  Completely unsatisfied.  I can't see that this product would work for any skin type at all!  It is definitely wrong for oily because my T-Zone is screaming for help right about now.  Needless to say, I'm staying far away from Avon foundations - it is that bad.

Now... for the MagiX Face Perfector SPF 20.  I'm liking this product so far.  Very important for you beautiful ladies out there to use SPF on your faces.... make sure it's in at least one of your face products.  Hint:  If you use and SPF 20 moisturizer and an SPF 15 foundation you are not going to get a total of SPF 35 - the higher SPF is the coverage you are going to get - not a combination of the two...OK, so this claims to be a gel to powder product and it is.  Love the way it feels and spreads and I felt like I was getting a nice base for my foundation.  Being that I'm wearing it under that horrible foundation, I'm on the fence as to whether or not it is adding to the foundation disaster - but I'm pretty sure it's not.  Stay tuned because I'll try it under a "good" foundation tomorrow and let you know...

MagiX Face Perfector SPF 20

Mascara..... SuperSHOCK Mascara is a definite hit.  I love the brush on this product - big and fat! That is exactly how my lashes were after applying it as well - BIG AND FAT!  Nice!  I'm a lash girl as I've mentioned before so this product is going into my amazing mascara file and staying there.  It definitely compares to the Armani Eyes To Kill, but still is one step away from achieving equal status because it doesn't dry nearly as quickly.  However there is one thing this has that Eyes To Kill will never have and that is affordability!  This little wonder was only $4.99!!!!! Now that is the sale price but regularly it is still only $9.00 - NOT BAD AT ALL!  Do yourself a favor and get your hands on this - it really is a great product at a great price.


SuperSHOCK Mascara

OK, so there it is ... my review of a few Avon products.  I would imagine that just because I had a bad experience with the foundation doesn't necessarily mean you will too, but I put it out there just for information purposes.  Again two out of three is a good average so as a whole, I think Avon is on the right track.  They also sent me a free lip gloss that I wanted to use this morning, but forgot!  I'll try it out later and tell you what I think. 

Enjoy your makeup beautiful!  C'est la vie!!!!

0 comments: